Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Getting Social

This final unit if the Taste of Web 2.0 Program introduces a number of programs which I do not have much inclination to use. After looking at Facebook, Myspace and SecondLife I found that the amount of information which I would be encouraged to put out there is not what I want to do. I believe that using blogs limited to my friends or using email to communicate is more the way I would like to interact with people, rather than putting things in the public domain (even given aspects such as inviting people to be 'my friend').

I can see that they are useful for some people, but they are not the vehicle which I would choose to use.

The final program which is covered is Skype. I have found this to be a very useful program. It certainly cuts the cost of communication and is very flexible. For instance, we were recently speaking to friends of ours while they were waiting for a flight in Vancouver airport. We were able to catch up on their trip (they had also kept a blog while travelling) and arrange to pick them up at the airport when they arrived home. However they almost missed their flight because they were talking to us - they had to run through the airport lounge with their open computer under their arm to get to the departure gate on time!!

A Taste of Web 2.0 has certainly opened my eyes to a host of opportunities for using the internet much more than I was aware of before working through the program.

No comments: